Monday, January 29, 2018


 Fifth Grade Weekly News

1/29 - 2/2

Announcements:

·         Lunch Time – 12-12:25

·         Related Arts – Art

·         Thursday, February 1 - Mid-module 4 Math Test

·         Being proactive - BizTown Field is Thursday, March 29, and we will need several volunteers. If your background check is not up to date, please stop by the office and talk to Valenta Hoffman. The cost is $10.00.

·         Valentine's Day party – Wednesday, February 14 at 10:00am – Parents are welcome to attend. Remember the children cannot have Valentine's Day cards that come with candy. Thank you for being sensitive to children with food allergies.

 

ELA Workshop:

How do I organize for a research paper?

·         The students will begin to explore the topic they choose for their essay. They will be researching and taking notes this week.

How do I compare the main idea in similar text?

·         The students will read 3 different passages about similar text. They will determine importance of each to help them identify the main idea.

 

Math Workshop:

How do I compare and evaluate expressions with parentheses? How do I solve fraction word problems?

·         This week they will be using problem solving skills to write expressions and solve problems involving addition, subtraction or multiplication. Study guides will be sent home on Tuesday.

 

Science:

What is important for plants to thrive? How do I design a plant that will survive in the Arctic?

·         The students will understand that plants acquire their material for growth chiefly from air and water. They will think like an engineer to come up with solutions for growing plants in problem areas (Arctic, shortage of land, too much rain, droughts, pests, etc).

 

Social Studies: 

What were the differences in the British and Continental Armies?

·         Working in groups, the students will research and share information on how the American colonies defeated Britain in the Revolutionary War.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment