Friday, August 26, 2016




Mrs. Tabor’s Fifth Grade Weekly News

8/29 – 9/2



Dear Families,



                Again, we’ve had a great week getting to know one another.  We’re working on having a growth mindset for new learning, and we are setting goals for our learning.  I am excited about grouping students soon in math, so that we can target your children’s needs.   



Related Arts for Next Week: All of fifth grade has been divided into 4 related arts groups: A, B, C and D.  Ask your child to tell you their related arts group.  I will only announce the groups going to PE, as they will need to wear appropriate shoes. 


Monday- Thursday
Friday
Group B
Group A



Daily Lunch Time:  10:49 – 11:14 am



ELA Workshop:

How do I use strategies for comprehension?

-          We will begin discussing the ways one can be more intent and mindful during reading.  The strategies that we will cover are: connecting my reading to my schema (background knowledge), visualizing, questioning, inferring, and determining importance.  We will also continue conducting DRA reading assessments.



Math Workshop:

What are exponents and how do I use them?  How do I multiply two and three digit numbers using the standard algorithm?

-          This week, we will visualize square numbers by creating arrays and practice using exponents in equations.  We will also use the standard algorithm (multiplication the way you learned it!) to solve multiplication problems.



Leader in Me:

What does it mean to begin with the end in mind? How do I put first things first? How do I think win/win?

-          This week we will begin learning about the Leader in Me Seven Habits of Happy Kids.  We will learn all seven habits this year, and practice living these habits in our daily lives at school and at home.

-          Habit 1:  Be Proactive – I am a responsible person.  I take initiative.  I choose my actions, attitudes and mood.  I do not blame others for my wrong actions.  I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.

-          Habit 2:  Begin with the End in Mind – I plan ahead and set goals.  I do things that have meaning and make a difference.  I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision.  I look for wards to be a good citizen. 

-          Habit 3:  Put first things first- I determine what is important, and take care of those things before I begin less important tasks.

-          Habit 4: Think win-win:  The best solutions to conflict occur when all parties feel that they were heard, and there was compromise. 



    Social Studies:  How do I use the key to a map? What is relative location and absolute location? 

                This week, we will begin our unit on geography.  We will pre-assess what your children already know about the continents, oceans and the fifty states.  We will focus on learning how to use the map key, and how to identify latitude and longitude.

Other Information:

-          Please come to Parent Orientation!  We will be covering important procedures and an overview of the curriculum.  Parent Orientation has been scheduled for September 1st at 6:30 pm.

-          Confidentiality training is on-line this year.  Go to www.oldham.kyschools.us/harmony and click on the parent tab.   There, you will find the confidentiality training video and forms.

-          Early Release Days – This year, a student must have a note each time their transportation is different from their transportation form.  For example, if a student usually rides the bus home, but on early release days they will be a car rider, you must send in a note on each early release day so the office knows of the change. 

-          We need healthy snacks only in classroom.  We have snack time each day at 8:45 am, but students are allowed to snack during independent work time throughout the day.

-          Please send in forms for clubs, if your child is interested, quickly to ensure a spot in the club.

-          You can expect to receive a newsletter from me each Monday.  The newsletter will include important information about our learning for the up-coming week, as well as any announcements. 


  



No comments:

Post a Comment