August
23, 2016
Dear Parents,
We have had a great first week! I can honestly say that your children have
been wonderful, and I am really enjoying getting to know your children. As we do every year, we have spent a great
deal of time getting to know one another, building community and learning school
and classroom expectations. This week,
we are pre-assessing in math, reading and spelling to form differentiated
learning groups. Please be patient
during this time, as it is important that I get to know the current learning
levels of each student. Once we have
this established, you will notice that homework will reflect the instruction
your child is receiving in the classroom.
Parent Orientation is on September 1! I
would love to see all of you there! We
will go over the curriculum that your children will learn this year. This is a good time to sign up as volunteers,
meet parents, and ask questions.
Here are the guiding questions for
this week:
Math:
What is base 10? How can I express numbers in expanded form? How do I determine a digit’s value? How do I
describe place-value relationships?
Leader in Me: What does it mean to be proactive? What does it mean to put first things first?
Reading: What are my strengths as a reader? What are my goals as a reader? We will be assessing throughout next week.
Writing: What do writers write about? We will be establishing our writer’s
workshop.
Social Studies: What is my personal culture? Students will present their culture boxes
throughout the week.
Other important things… We will meet our first grade buddies on
Friday. We will also have Library Orientation
on Friday. Students will be able to
check out books on their own after orientation.
Thank you for all of
your support!
Sincerely,
Sheri Tabor
No comments:
Post a Comment