Sunday, September 27, 2015


Mrs. Tabor’s 2nd Grade Weekly News

9/28 – 10/2

 

Dear Families,

 

            Thanks so much for the generous donations. The money raised this Hustle goes towards The Leader in Me program and improving our playground. I don’t know the grand total yet, but as of now our class has earned $400! Please read below for additional information.

 

           

Related Arts for Next Week: Art

Daily Lunch Time:  10:43-11:09am

 

Daily Homework:

-          Read 15 minutes each night and record title in student agenda.

-          Word Wall Words: students should be able to recognize and spell the following words by Friday, October 2th : slow, sure, early, though, water

-          Study words 6-15 in agenda.  These words are from your child’s Words Their Way group.  Students will be assessed on these words on October 9th.

-          Please check agenda and take home folder nightly. Sometimes assignments will come home to be corrected, completed and returned.

-          Homework Notebooks due every Friday

 

Reader’s Workshop:

What is inferring? How can this help me as a reader? 

-          This week we will learn about inferring.  Students will learn how to make inferences based on their schema and evidence.   Students will practice explaining their inferences about their just right books using the following schema thinking stems:  My guess is…, Maybe…, Perhaps…, It could be that.., This could mean…, I predict…., I infer.

-          On Tuesday please have your child bring a gallon size bag that has 5 items that belong to them inside. Please don’t put your child’s name anywhere on the bag. Classmates will be making inferences about who each bag might belong to.   All the items will come home on Tuesday. Thanks for your help.

 

Word Work: 

-          Your child will be working on one of the following two patterns: look for new words to be in their agenda on Monday.

o   Group 1: Within Word Pattern:  short i /long i

o   Group 2: Short o and long o (CVC, CVCe, and CVVC)

o   Group 3: -oo-, (words that sound like wood or soon)

-          Students will be quizzed on these 10 words on October 9th. 

 

Math Workshop:

How do I collect, display, and analyze data?

-          This week students will enjoy collecting data on a variety of topics, including their height and how far they can jump. They will then learn how to organize this information into a table using tally marks. Students will then take their data and create line plots both by hand and on the computer. Finally students will brainstorm questions that can be answered based on their line plots.     

 

Social Studies:

What does Habit 7:  Sharpen the Saw mean?

This week we will learn about Habit 7.  Sharpen the Saw: I eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep (body). I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school (brain). I spend time with family and friends (heart). I take time to find meaningful ways to help people (soul). I balance all four parts of myself.

 

Writer’s Workshop:

How do I write a friendly letter?  How do I respond to a friendly letter? 

How do I stretch a sentence?

-          The students will continue exchanging letters with another second grader from a different classroom.

-          This week we will focus on stretching sentences. The students will learn that a stellar sentence includes who, what, when, and where.

 

Other Information:

-          Your child is bringing home his/her Friday Reflection. Please read and respond then return the folder Monday.

-          We have one more section of the MAP test to complete next week on Tuesday the 29th, from 1-2.  Please try to schedule doctor appointments around this time.

-          October 7th is Early Release Day

-          Octber 19-23 is Fall Break

-          November 3rd is Election Day (No School)

No comments:

Post a Comment