Sunday, September 13, 2015


Mrs. Tabor’s 2nd Grade Weekly News

9/14-9/18

Dear Families,

 

Thank you for attending Orientation.  If you didn’t get a chance to attend, and you would like to be more informed about our goals for the year, please e-mail me.  I’d love to have the chance to fill you in!   Also, notice that we are beginning to gear up for the Husky Hustle.  This is our biggest PTA fundraiser that we have at Harmony, which supports many things at Harmony, including classroom budgets, playground equipment and technology.  We are so grateful to our PTA, so please help out as you can!

 

Related Arts for Next Week: 

P.E. all week.  All must wear tennis shoes to participate!

Daily Lunch Time:  10:43-11:08

 

Homework:

This is our first official week of Homework Journals.  Please note that your child has until Friday to return it.  Please check their work before it’s turned in.  There is a note inside the journal explaining what is due.

 

Reader’s Workshop:

What is metacognition?

What is Schema?

-          Metacognition or, “thinking about your thinking” is an important strategy that readers use. We will spend some time practicing and being very intentional about our metacognition.

-          Schema means all of the knowledge one has acquired.  We will be discussing how discussing and thinking about the schema that you have about a topic will help you make connections to your reading.  These connections strongly correlate to our reading comprehension.

 

Math Workshop:

How do I measure with yards, feet, inches and centimeters, and which measurement tools should I use?

-          This week, we will learn about measurement. We will also discuss how to use the right tool for the item that you are measuring (yardsticks, rulers, and tapemeasures)

 

Social Studies:

Habit 5 — Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood, or

“Listening shows that you care”

Focus for Students: I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try and see things from their point of view (paradigm). I listen to others without interrupting. I listen with my ears, my eyes, and my heart. I am confident in voicing my ideas.

Habit 6 — Synergize

 

Writer’s Workshop:

What does a paragraph look like? How do I use paragraphs to write a letter?

-          Last week, our students learned how to write a paragraph using the hamburger analogy (Top bun = topic sentence; lettuce cheese and burger = supporting sentences; bottom bun = closing sentence).  This week, we will build on this to write a letter.  We will learn the 5 parts of the letter: heading, greeting, body, closing and signature. At the end of the week, we’ll get pen pals from other classes. Exciting!

-           

Important Dates:

 

-          Picture Day is Tuesday, September 15th.  Our pictures will be taken in the morning.

 

Other Information:

 

-          Please read over the Habit information page with your child this weekend.

 

-          Ask your child if they filled a bucket at school this past week?

 

-          We will start our school-wide MAP testing this Wednesday, the 16th. This will continue once a week, throughout the month of September.

  

Thank you for your commitment and support to your child’s education! Please let me know if you have any questions!

 

Sheri Tabor

 

No comments:

Post a Comment